How to make a Saucer Pass
The saucer pass got its name because of its in-flight resemblance to a flying saucer. Saucer passes are effectively used when a player is trying to make a pass to a teammate who is unable to receive a direct pass on the ice because an opposing player is blocking the passing lane. Saucer passes can be anywhere from about 4 inches to 25 feet off the ice, depending on how much clearance is necessary to bypass the defenders.
The best way to make a saucer pass is to, basically, replicate a "restrained" wrist shot or snap shot that is elevated to increase the likelihood of bypassing the defender, landing flat on the ice within a few feet of the player receiving the pass. It takes some practice to get the puck to leave your blade without wobbling, but you should be able to master it by practicing consistency and control of the heel-to-toe puck motion that is used when making a saucer pass.
The height of the saucer pass should correspond to the distance of the pass. Longer saucer passes can be made at higher elevation because they have a greater horizontal distance over which they descend before settling on the recipient's stick. 20 foot high saucer passes are not always necessary when you're making a longer pass though. You simply have to gauge the necessary height of each saucer pass as the situation presents itself. The key is to elevate the puck into an area that is tough for the defender to reach as it goes by him, landing flat on the ice near the intended recipient so that he is able to control the puck.
|Hockey Skates||Hockey Sticks||Protective||Bags||Jerseys & Apparel||Accessories||Goalie||NHL Team Shops||All Brands||Clearance|
- Ice Hockey SkatesIce Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Inline Hockey SkatesInline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Recreational SkatesGoalie Skates
- Hockey Skate Sizing
- Hockey Equipment PackagesHelmets, Cages, and ShieldsHockey Helmets & CombosHockey Helmet CagesHockey Helmet Half ShieldsHockey Helmet Full Shields and CombosHockey Helmet AccessoriesNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Gloves
- Hockey Elbow PadsHockey Shin GuardsHockey Shoulder Pads
- Ice and Inline Pants & GirdlesWomen's Hockey
- Hockey JerseysPractice Hockey JerseysNHL Gamewear (Uncrested) Hockey JerseysNHL Authentic Hockey JerseysNHL Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Player Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Practice Hockey JerseysNHL Vintage Hockey JerseysNCAA College Hockey JerseysHockey Jersey Lettering
- Hockey SocksHockey Warm-UpsHockey Under ApparelHockey HatsHockey Shirts & TeesHockey Sweatshirts & JacketsHockey Shorts & Pants
- Hockey Pucks and BallsHockey Tape and StrapsHockey Goals & Replacement NetsHockey Coaches and Training ToolsStick Accessories
Ice Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Gift CertificatesHockey MouthguardsHockey Jocks, Cups & SupportersNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Garter Belts & Suspenders
Inline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Sports MedicineGames, Toys & MemorabiliaHockey BooksInstructional Hockey DVDs & TapesStickers
Hockey Helmet AccessoriesReferee EquipmentFootwearHockey Sandals