How to Improve Your Shot Power
Shot power is very important because when the goaltender is forced to handle a harder shot he has to react more quickly to stop the initial shot and is more likely to give up rebounds. The biggest problem that most players create for themselves is a lack of shot power due to choosing an inappropriate flex for their size and playing style. Make sure to refer to the shaft flexibility chart in our Hockey Stick Buying Guide for more information on that subject.
Once you've chosen the proper stick flex for you, there are still several things that can be done in order to improve your shot power. The first thing you can do is to practice shooting with weighted pucks and stick weights. If you can develop a solid, accurate shot with heavy pucks and stick weights then your shot will be phenomenal when you play with a regulation puck and remove the stick weight from your stick. The puck will feel incredibly light on your blade which should also help with your puck control to a certain extent.
Using proper technique is the most important key to generating harder, more powerful shots. Whether you're taking a slap shot, wrist shot, snap shot or backhander, transferring your weight from your back foot to front foot is crucial for generating a more powerful shot. You must also choose the proper shaft stiffness so that you are able to apply pressure to the shaft and flex it with relative ease in order to generate enough "whip" to cause a sort of catapult effect when you shoot the puck. Make the stick do the work for you. Hand placement on the shaft is also an important factor which is determined by the type of shot you are taking.
As an athlete, strength training and conditioning are an essential part of a winning formula. Targeting your forearms, pectorals and shoulders when you work out will have a huge impact on your shot power. One of the best and most convenient workout tools for hockey players is a hand grip strengthener. This is not for the sake of holding the stick tightly, but rather for improving the forearm muscles which control the stick.
|Hockey Skates||Hockey Sticks||Protective||Bags||Jerseys & Apparel||Accessories||Goalie||NHL Team Shops||All Brands||Clearance|
- Ice Hockey SkatesIce Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Inline Hockey SkatesInline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Recreational SkatesGoalie Skates
- Hockey Skate Sizing
- Hockey Equipment PackagesHelmets, Cages, and ShieldsHockey Helmets & CombosHockey Helmet CagesHockey Helmet Half ShieldsHockey Helmet Full Shields and CombosHockey Helmet AccessoriesNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Gloves
- Hockey Elbow PadsHockey Shin GuardsHockey Shoulder Pads
- Ice and Inline Pants & GirdlesCut Resistant Hockey SocksWomen's Hockey
- Hockey JerseysPractice Hockey JerseysNHL Gamewear (Uncrested) Hockey JerseysNHL Authentic Hockey JerseysNHL Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Player Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Practice Hockey JerseysNHL Vintage Hockey JerseysNCAA College Hockey JerseysHockey Jersey Lettering
- Hockey SocksCut Resistant Hockey SocksNHL Team Ice Hockey SocksSolid Color Ice Hockey SocksPerformance Skate SocksHockey Warm-UpsHockey Under ApparelHockey HatsHockey Shirts & TeesHockey Sweatshirts & JacketsHockey Shorts & Pants
- Hockey Pucks and BallsHockey Tape and StrapsHockey Goals & Replacement NetsHockey Coaches and Training ToolsStick Accessories
Ice Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Gift CertificatesHockey MouthguardsHockey Jocks, Cups & SupportersNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Garter Belts & Suspenders
Inline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Sports MedicineGames, Toys & MemorabiliaHockey BooksInstructional Hockey DVDs & TapesStickers
Hockey Helmet AccessoriesReferee EquipmentFootwearHockey Sandals