How to Buy Hockey Shin Guards
Hockey Shin Guards Buying Guide
Here is some advice from HockeyGiant.com on how to buy Hockey Shin Guards
Hockey shin guards are worn to protect your knees, shins and calves. With skates, sticks and pucks constantly moving around on the ice at high speeds, it is imperative that you wear shin guards that fit properly and offer good overall protection for your legs.
Protection By Position
Defensemen have the responsibility of protecting their net at all costs, which entails staying between the opposing puck carrier and the net at all times, often blocking shots with their shin guards. Forwards also share this responsibility, but because of the nature of a defenseman's position he is more likely to encounter situations where he'll have to block shots and put himself in harm's way. So it's usually best for a defenseman to wear wider, thicker shin guards that offer a greater degree of overall protection. Typically, models that are relatively wide offer great protection for defensemen, but of course can be used by forwards as well. It all depends on the needs of the individual.
By the nature of their position, forwards are usually more offensively-inclined players and ought to choose a pair of shin guards that are light-weight, slim-fitting and made for increased mobility, while still protecting them from errant pucks, sticks and skates. Some forwards are more defensively inclined and have a greater tendency to block shots and therefore ought to consider shin guards that offer the same degree of protection as those worn by defensemen.
Shin Guard Features
Shin guards serve a simple function and therefore they are constructed in a relatively simple way. But there are certain features that set some models apart from others.
Fit & Sizing
Hockey shin guards must fit properly and comfortably. Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor and measure from the bottom of your knee cap down to the end of your shin where it meets your foot. The point on your shin/ankle to which you measure should be the desired length of the shin guards that you intend to wear. Basically, the end of the tape measure should stop where you want your shin guards to reach.
There are two ways to wear your shin guards: over the tongue of your skates or tucked behind the tongue of your skates. This is a matter of preference and it should be taken into account when choosing shin guard length/size. Your knee cap should rest square in the middle of the knee cap pocket of the shin guards.
|Hockey Skates||Hockey Sticks||Protective||Bags||Jerseys & Apparel||Accessories||Goalie||NHL Team Shops||All Brands||Clearance|
- Ice Hockey SkatesIce Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Inline Hockey SkatesInline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Recreational SkatesGoalie Skates
- Hockey Skate Sizing
- Hockey Equipment PackagesHelmets, Cages, and ShieldsHockey Helmets & CombosHockey Helmet CagesHockey Helmet Half ShieldsHockey Helmet Full Shields and CombosHockey Helmet AccessoriesNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Gloves
- Hockey Elbow PadsHockey Shin GuardsHockey Shoulder Pads
- Ice and Inline Pants & GirdlesCut Resistant Hockey SocksWomen's Hockey
- Hockey JerseysPractice Hockey JerseysNHL Gamewear (Uncrested) Hockey JerseysNHL Authentic Hockey JerseysNHL Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Player Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Practice Hockey JerseysNHL Vintage Hockey JerseysNCAA College Hockey JerseysHockey Jersey Lettering
- Hockey SocksCut Resistant Hockey SocksNHL Team Ice Hockey SocksSolid Color Ice Hockey SocksPerformance Skate SocksHockey Warm-UpsHockey Under ApparelHockey HatsHockey Shirts & TeesHockey Sweatshirts & JacketsHockey Shorts & Pants
- Hockey Pucks and BallsHockey Tape and StrapsHockey Goals & Replacement NetsHockey Coaches and Training ToolsStick Accessories
Ice Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Gift CertificatesHockey MouthguardsHockey Jocks, Cups & SupportersNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Garter Belts & Suspenders
Inline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Sports MedicineGames, Toys & MemorabiliaHockey BooksInstructional Hockey DVDs & TapesStickers
Hockey Helmet AccessoriesReferee EquipmentFootwearHockey Sandals