|How to Buy Hockey Helmets|
Here is some advice from HockeyGiant.com on how to buy Hockey Helmets
Ice hockey is a contact sport, whether you're playing in a full contact league or not. Inevitably, every player is bound to get bumps and bruises regardless of how well-protected they are. With that in mind, it is essential to protect your head sufficiently with an HECC, CSA & CE approved helmet. Ice hockey has evolved into one of the fastest team sports on the planet and hockey players are bigger and strong than ever before. This means that concussions and other head related injuries are much more probable if the correct fit and degree of protection are not met.
Hockey Helmet Manufacturers
There are many hockey helmet manufacturers to choose from like CCM, Reebok, Bauer, Easton and Tour. There are other helmet manufacturers, but the ones mentioned here are currently the main producers for the hockey helmet market and they have established themselves as reliable companies for all protective hockey gear. Each of these brands offers hockey helmet models that accommodate the protective needs of beginners and elite level hockey players alike.
Hockey Helmet Construction
Hockey helmets have a shell, inner padding, and hardware that will hold the helmet together and allow for size adjustment. The shell is made of plastic, although some pieces may be made of lighter, composite materials. The padding inside the helmet is made with dense foam that is designed to absorb the shock from contact made with the head from a check, a stick, a puck or contact with the ice and boards. Almost all hockey helmets are adjustable lengthwise, and some can be adjusted for width as well. The majority of hockey helmets are adjusted by loosening the screws on the sides of the helmet so that you can pull the front and back pieces of the shell apart, and then re-tighten the screws to hold the pieces in place at the desired length.
Each manufacturer constructs their helmets in similar fashion, but there are certain features that are specific to one brand/model.
Occipital locks are now commonly implemented in many high-end models such as the Bauer 9900 Hockey Helmet and Reebok 11K Hockey Helmet. The occipital lock cups the back of head below the occipital ridge and is designed to keep the helmet from coming loose upon heavy impact. The adjustment dials are typically located on the back of the helmet and are fairly easy to operate. Pictured below is a view of the occipital lock on the Bauer 9500 Helmet. The dials slide left and right to push the lock forward, securing the helmet in place on your head.
Tool Free Adjustment
Most helmets are adjustable in some way. Elite models, such as the Reebok 11K Hockey Helmet and Cascade M11 Hockey Helmet (pictured below) can often be adjusted lengthwise, mechanically, without tools. This tool-free adjustment capability is a convenient feature that is not always available on lower end models. On most helmets that have tool-free adjustment capabilities, you simply flip up the side flaps and move the two helmet shell pieces apart or together and then re-close the flaps, as opposed to unscrewing the helmet on both sides and re-tightening the screws once you've moved the shell pieces to the desired length. As you can see in the picture below, the M11 is actually adjusted with a simple ratchet system which can be operated with one hand, even with the helmet on your head.
High Quality Foam
Another feature available in higher end model helmets is high quality, concussion-preventive foam, such as EPP, FXPP, and Poron® foam (exclusive to Bauer). This type of foam absorbs the maximum amount of shock from collisions and is more likely to help prevent concussions. EPP foam is used in many industrial applications and is incredibly durable. Players who are competing at an elite level should absolutely consider using a high quality helmet with high density foam for added protection. However, using a top of the line helmet is always a great choice, regardless of the level at which a player is competing.
Helmets with high density foam usually have a second layer of softer foam which provides more comfortable cushioning between your head and the high density foam.
Hockey Helmet Sizing
A hockey helmet ought to fit snugly without constricting the head. The front of the helmet should cover about half of the forehead and come down over the hairline to the sideburns, even with the cheekbones. The top of the head should be completely covered with protection extending to the back of the head just above the hairline where the neck and head meet. The helmet should rest securely on the head with no room for the helmet to jiggle around. Manufacturers have specific sizing measurements for each helmet model, so be sure to check the sizing charts to find the correct fit.
Click on the following link to check out HockeyGiant.com's selection of Hockey Helmets
|Hockey Skates||Hockey Sticks||Protective||Bags||Jerseys & Apparel||Accessories||Goalie||NHL Team Shops||All Brands||Clearance|
- Ice Hockey SkatesIce Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Inline Hockey SkatesInline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Recreational SkatesGoalie Skates
- Hockey Skate Sizing
- Helmets, Cages, and ShieldsHockey Helmets & CombosHockey Helmet CagesHockey Helmet Half ShieldsHockey Helmet Full Shields and CombosHockey Helmet AccessoriesNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Gloves
- Hockey Elbow PadsHockey Shin GuardsHockey Shoulder Pads
- Ice and Inline Pants & GirdlesCut Resistant Hockey SocksWomen's Hockey
- Hockey JerseysPractice Hockey JerseysNHL Gamewear (Uncrested) Hockey JerseysNHL Authentic Hockey JerseysNHL Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Player Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Practice Hockey JerseysNHL Vintage Hockey JerseysNCAA College Hockey JerseysHockey Jersey Lettering
- Hockey SocksCut Resistant Hockey SocksNHL Team Ice Hockey SocksSolid Color Ice Hockey SocksPerformance Skate SocksHockey Warm-UpsHockey Under ApparelHockey HatsHockey Shirts & TeesHockey Sweatshirts & JacketsHockey Shorts & Pants
- Hockey Pucks and BallsHockey Tape and StrapsHockey Goals & Replacement NetsHockey Coaches and Training ToolsStick Accessories
Ice Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate LacesHockey Skate Guards & FootbedsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Gift CertificatesHockey MouthguardsHockey Jocks, Cups & SupportersNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Garter Belts & Suspenders
Inline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Sports MedicineGames, Toys & MemorabiliaInstructional Hockey BooksInstructional Hockey DVDs & TapesStickers
Hockey Helmet AccessoriesReferee EquipmentFootwearHockey Sandals