Hockey Goalie Blockers & Catchers
Goalie catchers are often paired with matching goalie blockers, and almost as often with the goalie's leg pads as well. Your goalie catcher should provide reasonable protection for your hand from pucks and hockey sticks and give you the ability to catch pucks that are fired at your net. Some catchers are built with an extra blocking surface on the cuff and a smaller pocket because some goalies play a style that lends itself more to blocking the puck than actually catching it. This is a matter of personal preference and you can make the choice for yourself.
Some of the top goalie manufacturers that we carry include Brians, Bauer and Warrior, among others, and you'll find great prices on catchers for youth goalies all the way up to senior goalies. Catchers and blockers are produced in matching pairs along with goalie leg pads, but they are sold separately so that you can mix and match the pads that work best for you. One of the benefits of purchasing an actual set of leg pads, catcher and blocker from the same product line is that the color and design on the pads will be an exact match. Bauer White/Black/Red goalie pads probably won't look exactly the same as Warrior or Reebok White/Black/Red goalie pads.
Goalie catchers aren't sold in "sizes" such as small, x-small or large. Rather, they are sold with an age group size of Tyke (2-5), Youth (5-8), Junior (9-12), Intermediate (12-14) and Senior (14+), which sufficiently accommodate players of various age ranges. Once you've selected a goalie catcher, the only two options you really have to decide on are the color and hand. Information on how to choose the hand of your goalie catcher is outlined below.
Goalie blockers are worn for protection, on the same hand that is used to hold your goalie stick. Blockers are built with a glove attached to the back side of a rectangular blocker board made of foam and very dense inserts that provide a blocking surface for the top of your hand and wrist. Some of the leading manufacturers of blockers are Bauer, Reebok, Warrior and Brians, and we carry models from each of these brands for players in every age group from tyke to senior.
When you're shopping for a goalie blocker, there are fewer variables to take into account then when you're buying, for example, a pair of goalie leg pads. The design of a blocker is relatively simple, but there are still a couple of features that you may want to take a look at before making your purchase. Some blockers have straps that can be used to secure the glove around your hand and wrist. There are also slight differences in the angle of the blocker board when you're comparing a few different blockers, which can affect the trajectory of the puck when it deflects off the face of your blocker. Another goalie blocker feature to look at would be the foam inserts that are placed between the top of the hand and the blocker, which cause the blocker to be angled properly when facing a shooter. Comfort pads and side hand protection is also an important feature to consider because sometimes the puck sneaks past the blocker face and strikes the fingers or sides of the hand.
Sizing for goalie blockers and catchers is much more general than sizing methods used for leg pads, masks and other pieces of goalie equipment. There are really only 5 sizes of goalie blockers: tyke (age 2-5), youth (5-8), junior (9-12), intermediate (12-14) and senior (14+). The goal when you're sizing a blocker or goalie catcher is to make sure that your hand fits snugly in the finger gussets without being too tight so as to cause the hand to cramp. A proper fit will allow you to have better control of the blocker and the goalie stick. A blocker that is not properly sized will make it difficult to handle your stick.
Regular = Stick in RIGHT Hand | Blocker on RIGHT hand | Catcher on LEFT hand
Full Right = Stick in LEFT hand | Blocker on LEFT hand | Catcher on RIGHT hand
|Hockey Skates||Hockey Sticks||Protective||Bags||Jerseys & Apparel||Accessories||Goalie||All Brands||Clearance|
- Ice Hockey SkatesIce Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate Laces & FootbedsHockey Skate GuardsHockey Skate Tools & Hardware
- Inline Hockey SkatesInline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
- Recreational SkatesGoalie Skates
- Hockey Skate Sizing
- Helmets, Cages, and ShieldsHockey Helmets & CombosHockey Helmet CagesHockey Helmet Half ShieldsHockey Helmet Full Shields and CombosHockey Helmet AccessoriesNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash GuardsHockey Gloves
- Hockey Elbow PadsHockey Shin GuardsHockey Shoulder Pads
- Ice and Inline Pants & GirdlesCut Resistant Hockey SocksWomen's Hockey
- Hockey JerseysPractice Hockey JerseysNHL Gamewear Hockey JerseysNHL Authentic Hockey JerseysNHL Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Player Replica Hockey JerseysNHL Practice Hockey JerseysNHL Vintage Hockey JerseysNCAA College Hockey JerseysHockey Jersey Lettering
- Hockey SocksCut Resistant Hockey SocksNHL Team Ice Hockey SocksSolid Color Ice Hockey SocksPerformance Skate SocksHockey Warm-UpsHockey Under ApparelHockey HatsHockey Shirts & TeesHockey Sweatshirts & JacketsHockey Shorts & Pants
- Hockey Pucks and BallsHockey Tape and StrapsHockey Goals & Replacement NetsHockey Coaches and Training ToolsGift CertificatesHockey MouthguardsHockey Jocks, Cups & SupportersHockey Garter Belts and SuspendersNeck Protectors, Bibs & Slash Guards
- Ice Skate Holders & RunnersHockey Skate Laces & FootbedsHockey Skate GuardsHockey Skate Tools & HardwareReferee EquipmentFootwearHockey SandalsStick AccessoriesHockey Helmet Accessories
- Inline Hockey WheelsInline Hockey Bearings / Spacers / AxlesInline Hockey ChassisHockey Oils, Sprays & Cleaners
Sports MedicineGames, Toys & MemorabiliaInstructional Hockey BooksInstructional Hockey DVDs & TapesStickers